In the DocumentStream in StreamBIM, we use labels for efficient filtering and navigation. Labels and label-groups can be defined and set by Admins in the folder view of DocumentStream.
Labels and Label Categories - Step by step
- Label Category "1. DOMAIN"
- Label category is also laid out as a column in table view
- Labels in Category "1. DOMAIN"
- + Option to add labels in category
- Option to create "New label category"
Labels are set by choosing a file or folder and select "Edit labels". In the example below, we have added the label "ARCH" to folder root/Drawings/Architecture and the label "EL" to the folder root/Drawings/Electrical. We are in the process of adding a label to the folder root/Drawings/Mechanical which have been selected.
- Edit labels (also available from options and right click)
- Edit labels window/menu
- Labels not in use are grey, while active ones are orange and can be used for filtering.
Labels are inherited from folders above, so files and folders below Architecture inherit the label ARCH.
Inherited labels are displayed grey, while the folder or document where the label is set (and can be edited) are displayed colored orange.
The drawings in this demo project are from different blocs of the buildings, so we want to add a label category "Block" and add relevant labels directly to the drawings.
- Create "New label category" and name it "BLOCK"
- Add labels 1A, 1B, etc by clicking "+" below the category heading or in the "Edit labels window.
- Search for e.g. "Block 1A"
- Select the resulting files (holding "ctrl" or "shift" for multiple select)
- Select Edit labels
- Set the label. In this case "1A"
The result of this process will be as follows
The list view of the documents are similar to the view you will have on handheld devices and the point of this exercise. By using these labels for filtering documents, you will by 2-3 click narrow down the documents selection to a relevant selection.
First click "ARCH" displays only documents with this label
Selecting also "1A" narrows it down to all documents with the combination of the two labels. In this example this is only one document.
- You can add "unlimited" number of labels to a folder or file, also from the same label category.
- For efficient labeling of documents we recommend labels being added to folders.
- If labels are set on a file/document, new revisions of this file will inherit the label.
- Labels can be removed on the level the label is orange color. If the label is grey, it is inherited from a higer level in the folder structure.