A synced project in StreamBIM receives content from a source project. We call the source project the “Parent” project and the destination project the “Child” project. The content that is synced are folders and files within those folders from the source project. When you select a folder for syncing, all the content (folders and files) below that folder get synced from the parent to the child project.
Two StreamBIM sync options:
- Single folder sync. This syncs one folder and everything below (e.g. the root folder) from a parent project to the Child project.
- Multi-folder sync. You can sync several source folders from one or more parent project(s) to several destination folders in a child project.
- The sync only goes one way, from source to destination.
- The source folder overwrites the destination folder at each sync.
- With multi-folder syncing you cannot sync several source folders to a single destination folder (the last source folder to sync overwrites other folders)
- Syncing folders from a child project to a parent project can cause circular reference problems.
How to set up a synced project:
- Create a new project
- Ask StreamBIM support to enable syncing for the project.
Once the syncing feature is enabled on the the project, a new menu option is added to project settings:
On this page, select:
- Single folder sync (synchronizes the chosen source folder from the parent project to a folder in the child project). If you choose the root folder of parent project, the whole documents section gets synced to the child project.
- Multiple folder sync. Here you can cherry-pick the folders you want to sync to the child project.
For both sync options
- Select the user ID for the sync. The user needs to have write permission on both the source and destination locations.
- Select this option if you want the project to automatically reprocess IFC files after each sync.
- Save your settings
- Start a new sync in real time, rather than wait until the next scheduled sync.
Single folder sync:
- Select the Single folder sync radio button.
- Type the project ID for the parent project you want to sync from here.
- Type the folder ID nr here.
- Set up the remaining sync options and save. Click “Synch now” to start an immediate sync.
Multiple folder sync
- Select the multi folder sync radio button.
- Click Add folder
- Select the source project you want to use from the list of projects you have access to.
Choose a folder from the list of folders available on the source project, and click OK.
Next select the destination folder in the child project where the source folder content should be synced to.
Each folder sync in a multi-folder sync is recorded as in the following format:
[source project ID]-[Source Folder ID]-[destination folder ID]
You can add more folder syncs by clicking “add folder”. New folder syncs are added to the string in the Source root folder ID field with a comma between each sync definition.
You can remove a folder sync by deleting the part of the string pertaining to the sync, then saving the new sync setup.
In the child project, folders added via syncing from a parent project show this icon: