StreamBIM can be linked to your company's Microsoft Office365 account and configured to automatically synchronize folders and files from Sharepoint to a StreamBIM project.
Before you start, please contact email@example.com to make sure this feature is enabled for your project.
Setting up synchronization from Sharepoint involves three steps:
- Provide the tenant ID for your company's Microsoft Office365 account. StreamBIM needs to know which Office365 account to authenticate and read files from.
- Log in to your Microsoft Office365 account and grant the StreamBIM application read access to folders and files.
- Tell StreamBIM which drive or folder to synchronize from.
Let's go through the process step by step with screenshots. First, open Sharepoint integration configuration page:
The first time you do this the status will be NOT CONFIGURED.
Now, enter the tenant ID:
Please note that according to Microsoft policy the tenant ID should only be shared on a need-to-know basis. Only Azure AD Administrators are able to look up the tenant ID. StreamBIM respects this by not showing the tenant ID in the user interface - similar to password entry.
If the text you entered looks like a valid tenant ID, the Login button will be enabled. If the tenant ID does not seem to be valid then StreamBIM will display an error message. If this happens you should try again, making sure that you copy the whole tenant ID string, without any extra characters before or after the ID.
The Login button will send you to Microsoft Office365 login for your company's account (tenant). If you have multiple Microsoft user accounts make sure to select the right one. After login you will be asked by Office365 whether you wish to grant the StreamBIM application by Rendra AS read access to your folders and files. Grant access, then return to the StreamBIM browser tab.
The most typical things that can go wrong at this stage:
- You have multiple Microsoft user accounts and selected one that does not belong to the Office365 company account associated with tenant ID. In this case Office365 will not allow you to grant access to StreamBIM.
- The Microsoft user that grants access cannot be an external or guest user, and it must have at least read access to the drive / site / group / folders that StreamBIM should synchronize (because a user cannot grant an application access beyond his own privileges). The user does not have to be an Azure AD Administrator. If you are a guest user or lack access to the sync folder the login will succeed but you will get Access denied errors when you try to Save configuration in a later step.
- Your user account is not allowed to grant access to third party applications such as StreamBIM. In this case Office365 will give you an error message. Please contact your Azure AD Administrator to ask them to allow StreamBIM access.
Also note that:
- If you are already logged in to your Microsoft user account on this computer, the Login step may skip login and go straight to the question about StreamBIM access.
- If StreamBIM has previously been granted access by your Microsoft account, if this is not the first time you configure synchronization, the Login step may skip both login and the access question and go straight to a confirmation page with the simple text "Successfully connected with third party provider".
If your login was successful the status changes to LOGGED IN and a Sharepoint URL entry is added to the page:
The next step is to tell StreamBIM where to sync from. You do this by going to Sharepoint, navigating to the drive or folder that you want StreamBIM to synchronize, and copy the content of the browser address bar. Paste the address into the Sharepoint URL entry:
The Parse button is now enabled. Click it! If the address you entered matches what we expect a Sharepoint URL to look like, StreamBIM will automatically extract site, drive, group and folder from the address:
You can now Save the configuration. During Save, StreamBIM will authenticate with Sharepoint and check that it can find and that it has read access to the site, the drive, the group and the folder. If something goes wrong, for instance the folder does not exist or you lack access to the drive, this will be explained with an error message. If everything checks out, status will change to Ready for sync and the Start sync button will be enabled:
You can Start sync now, or any time you need to synchronize. StreamBIM will automatically synchronize after successful Save and then every night at ca 3PM CET. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a different sync interval.